What Causes House Fires In Charleston
As a homeowner, one of the most menacing dangers to your property and loved ones is the risk of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated in 2019 that American homeowners took on nearly $1.6 billion in costs as the result of unforeseen or negligent fires. Sadly, fires are unexpected and are frequently avoidable -- with a little knowledge of where to look. And, luckily, you are equipped with a monitored fire alarm that gets you aid immediately if you undergo an outbreak.
What Causes House Fires In Charleston?
Fires can happen in nearly any place without notice in the home. However, you can lessen the risk of fire by taking safety measures around the following household objects:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is overwhelmingly the number 1 cause of a house fire in Charleston. Cooking-related fires most often result when the kitchen is left unattended during meal preparation. Water used on a grease fire only works to spread a flame that would alternatively be easily handled.
- Candles: Passing out in an area with a going candle is problematic, even if you’re using a deep candle holder. The flame can blow and catch a curtain ablaze if left on a window sill, and animals can knock candles over. The National Fire Protection Association projects that just over 7,600 homes were damaged because of candle-related fires between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Faulty electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, degrading or improperly set up lighting, and frayed lamp cords are all prone to sparks. Be sure not to overwhelm your outlets or plug any object in with uncovered wiring. And if you hear a pop or detect smoke from the outlet, flip the breaker off prior to your investigation.
- Space Heaters: Skip over coiled space heaters because debris, like dust, paper, or blankets can find their way in and spark up. However, you should also oversee fan and ceramic space heaters at all times when in usage.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments responded to more than 17,000 home fires triggered by cigars, pipes, or cigarettes. If you enjoy tobacco who partakes inside, ensure they never pass out with a cigarette or smoke in bed. And fully extinguish your paraphernalia prior to placing it into a garbage can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Will Brings Help Quickly When It Senses A Fire
If a fire does spark, you will need to have a speedy detection system to alert your loved ones before it's too late. A traditional smoke alarm could suffice but is limited to alerting you if smoke is abundant. A cutting-edge fire alarm -- a piece of equipment that's tied to your home security network -- is powerful enough to detect both smoke and climbing heat and can do more to ensure everyone’s safety.
A monitored fire alarm has many methods by which it can alert you of a fire. Your alarms can alert you with an ear-piercing alarm and an alert to your smartphone. That’s when your ever-vigilant monitoring experts gets a hold of the fire department. And if you find yourself somewhere in which you aren’t able to race home when a fire breaks out, you can have peace of mind that your monitoring agent will facilitate communication between you and emergency personnel.
Utilize Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The odds of house fires in Charleston should never be discounted, but you can rest easier if you install a monitored fire alarm in your home. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you get all the fire detectors you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (304) 220-0469 or send in the form below to get started.